TCG Button

Monday, December 20, 2010

Happy Birthday, Jesus!!!

"LK 1:5 In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. 6 Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly. 7 But they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren; and they were both well along in years.

LK 1:8 Once when Zechariah's division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, 9 he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. 10 And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.

LK 1:11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth. 16 Many of the people of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous--to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

LK 1:18 Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years."

LK 1:19 The angel answered, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. 20 And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their proper time."

LK 1:21 Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zechariah and wondering why he stayed so long in the temple. 22 When he came out, he could not speak to them. They realized he had seen a vision in the temple, for he kept making signs to them but remained unable to speak.

LK 1:23 When his time of service was completed, he returned home. 24 After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion. 25 "The Lord has done this for me," she said. "In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people."

LK 1:26 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."

LK 1:29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."

LK 1:34 "How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?"

LK 1:35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. 37 For nothing is impossible with God."

LK 1:38 "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her."
– Luke1:5-38


“Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? . . .”
– Luke 1:18

“’How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?’”
– Luke 1:34

A recent sermon . . .

          Me: “What’s the difference between the two answers?”
          [dramatic pause]
          Me: “One doubts and one believes!”

A Guy, A Girl, an Angel

God sends one angel to talk to two people and gets two answers that seem to be very similar.  Zechariah doesn’t understand how Elizabeth is going to get pregnant because they’re old.  Mary doesn’t understand how she’s going to get pregnant because she’s a virgin.  Both questions seem to be a matter of logistics – how are you going to deliver that package?  But, Zechariah is the only one who gets in trouble.  Why?

Circumstances

The answer to the question why has to do with the circumstances of both Zechariah and Mary.  What was Zechariah doing when Gabriel appears to him?  He was burning incense in the temple.  It’s important to understand that burning incense in the temple was thought to carry the prayers of the people to God.  So, Zechariah throws the incense (his prayer) onto the fire and “poof” there’s Gabriel.  What does Gabriel say?  He says, “your prayer has been heard . . .” Note that Gabriel said “prayer” singular and not prayers plural.  Gabriel then tells him that he’s going to have a son.  So, what did Zechariah just ask God for in prayer?  A son.

Yes, already!

Think about it – one second it’s “amen” and the next second it’s angelic visitation!  The Lord’s answer to his prayer is a quick and resounding yes, but Zechariah isn’t jumping for joy.  He should be jumping for joy, but he’s not.  He doesn’t believe Gabriel, and Zechariah has trouble.  I really can’t imagine not talking for 9 months.  It must have been torturous.

BIG FAITH MARY!!!

Now let’s turn our attention to Mary.  What’s she doing when Gabriel shows up to talk to her?  The Bible doesn’t say.  It’s easy enough to speculate that she’s just going about her everyday life.  We know she’s planning her wedding.  She’s happy.  Then Gabriel comes along and tells her she’s going to have a baby.  Mary has one question, but she certainly has room for more questions if she wanted to ask them.  Let’s list out what Gabriel actually says about Mary’s baby.  The baby will be:

·         Great
·         Son of the Most High God
·         King
·         Given David’s Throne
·         Reign forever

Mary doesn’t question ANY of this huge stuff – she just believes!  What she wants to know is the logistics of having a baby without ever having had sex!  That’s a reasonable question.  Gabriel answers her question, and Mary believes his answer.  Mary is blessed.

The difference between Zechariah and Mary is simple.  Zechariah doubted.  Mary believed.  And, I can see a bit of myself in both of them.

I find hope for me in Zechariah, because though he doubted he still received his miracle.  I find hope for me in Mary, because she believed and received such great promises.  So, I find hope for me in both their stories, because no matter if I momentarily look at the circumstances around me and have my doubts, or if I surrender perfectly to the Lord’s word for me I know that the Lord is faithful to accomplish his word.  That’s real grace.  That’s grace I can use because . . .

There are times when I have to remind myself that the Church IS glorious – not that it will be glorious some day, but that it is at this very moment glorious.  The Spirit of Jesus and the Word of God say that the Church is glorious.  I just have to continue to believe him for a greater expression of his glory on the outside of you.  And, I know it will happen, because just as Mary said yes to the Lord’s offer, you have said yes to the Lord’s offer of eternal life in Christ Jesus.  The Spirit of Jesus makes his home in you, and that makes you GLORIOUS!

Let’s pray:

Daddy, I come to you in Jesus’ name, and I ask that you give every believer everywhere a revelation of your presence and your glory living on the inside of them and living in every other believer.  I ask that in some quiet unexpected moment you would surprise them by expressing your glory to them.  I believe I receive, in Jesus’ name, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Where's the "Great!" box to check? I know that I'm married to you and we talk all the time, but I feel like I see a new glimpse of YOU every time I read your posts. Thanks for sharing more of what God's deposited in you!

    ReplyDelete