TCG Button

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!!!

“During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake.  When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

"Come," he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.  Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God." “
         Matthew 14:25-33

A recent conversation . . .

          Sister: “Did you hear about . . . in the news?”
          Me: “It’s just wind and waves.”

The Virgin Mary lived in Nazareth.  Nazareth was NOT a nice place to live.  Nazareth was a backwater of the Roman Empire – a place forgotten.  Mary was young, poor, and engaged to an older man.  Her future didn’t look particularly bright, but then the angel came and changed all of that forever.  Let’s take another look at that list of what Gabriel said about Mary’s baby, Jesus.  The baby will be:

·         Great
·         Son of the Most High God
·         King
·         Given David’s Throne
·         Reign forever

What would you have expected from life after an angel lists out all that?!?!  I can’t speak for Mary, but I know what I would have expected.  I would have expected life to get a whole lot easier, but it didn’t get easier for Mary.

Trouble

Mary is so pregnant that she’s about to pop when she has to travel to Bethlehem because of a census.  Now, that’s a little more than inconvenient. She gets to Bethlehem, and goes into labor, but there’s no room in the inn.  She gives birth to the King of Kings in a cold, dark, damp cave surrounded by barnyard animals.  That’s not exactly fit for the King.  She’s tired from traveling and from labor when all these smelly shepherds show up babbling about angels.  Are shepherds “great”?  Not so much.  If anyone could have had a bad attitude and have been justified it was Mary.  But, Mary chose something different.

Treasure

Now, you may ask, “What does this have to do with the verses from Matthew chapter 14?  Christmas is over!”  Well, Mary chose to look at the miracle of Jesus instead of the wind and the waves of trouble around her.  She chose to treasure all of these things in her heart. 

Walking on Water

You and I have the treasure of the Spirit of Jesus living in our hearts.  We are more than conquerors in Jesus!  His plan is for good in our lives.  His plan is hope for now and for the future, but just like Peter I mess up.  I sin by looking at my circumstances instead of having faith that Jesus Christ – the Man/God who defeated death itself – isn’t enough to overcome the storms in my life.  Sometimes I react with disappointment when God’s plan for me doesn’t look like I think it should.  I don’t always feel glorious.  I don’t always see the glory of God in others.

Hope

But, I take hope in Peter’s story.  He did at least walk on the water.  Jesus did pull him out of the drink when he was sinking.  Jesus did still the storm.  Jesus will do the same for me.  I repent and I am restored.

And, I take hope in Mary’s story.  Though it didn’t look like what anyone would have reasonably expected, everything the angel said to Mary took place.  She received everything she was promised!  Jesus will do the same for me.  I repent and I am refreshed.

Now, I want to encourage you.  No matter what 2011 brings Jesus’ plan for you is good and glorious!  If you have sinned – repent.  He is faithful and just to forgive and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Even with the wind and waves around you . . .

Keep looking at Jesus.  Keep trusting in Jesus.  Keep seeking Jesus.  Keep pressing upward in Jesus!  When you screw it up – repent and get back in the game.  All of God’s promises are yes and amen for you because you are in Christ Jesus!  Let me pray for you.

Prayer

Daddy, I come to you in Jesus’ name, and I lift up to you everyone who will ever read this post – grant them true repentance.  Strengthen their faith.  Help them to fix their eyes on you in the midst of the storms.  Give them insight to see what is eternal and what is temporary, and give them wisdom to act on that insight.  I receive all of this in Jesus’ name – amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment